We all have our favourite flavours of e-liquid – but why does the same taste differ from brand to brand? For many, the composition of any given eliquid is a mystery, but if you’re willing to delve into the science behind their creation, you can improve your vaping experience immensely.
What is e-liquid?
The juice with which you refill your atomiser is what makes vaping so effective, and it’s commonly referred to as eliquid. Like all chemical substances, it contains a base which determines the liquid’s viscosity and its ability to promote chemical reactions – in the case of ecigarettes, either propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerine (VG) is used. Added to the base is both the product’s flavouring and its variable nicotine content.
What is the difference between PG and VG liquid?
While both have been used for decades in cosmetics and food flavourings, their use in e-liquids is FDA-approved and they’re capable of giving the vaper different benefits with varying PG VG ratios:
- Propylene glycol is a petroleum by-product that is odourless and colourless and has a low level of viscosity.
- Vegetable glycerine is an organic liquid with a sweet taste and a high level of viscosity.
Which is the best PG VG ratio for me?
Now we have an understanding of just what PG and VG are, how do we decide what the best PG VG e-liquid ratio is for each person? The answer to this is definitely a personal preference, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t assist you in making this decision. Here are the main aspects to consider when deciding what the best PG VG ratio is for you:
What type of taste are you trying to achieve from your vaping experience? The flavour of PG based e-liquid tends to be a more intense sensation, supplying you with a stronger taste of whatever your favourite flavour is. Whereas the opposite is true for its VG equivalent; VG dilutes the flavour for a more subtle hint of the flavour.
Depending on what type of vapour you are, there is a different type of hit that you will be looking to achieve when you vape. It is widely agreed upon that if you’re looking for that ‘back of the throat’ hit – more for those who are recently trying to quit smoking real cigarettes – you should aim for a PG-based e-liquid. Of course you still get a ‘hit’ from the VG variant, it’s just a little softer and smoother – ideal for the cloud chasers and those vaping for fun.
The best route to take if you’re a cloud chaser trying to achieve bigger vape clouds on exhalation is to make sure you aim for a higher VG-based e-liquid. The higher the VG the better the clouds; ultimately the best PG VG ratio for a cloud chaser would be 100% VG, making it purely VG and perfect for those competitive vapers.
Vapers who use standard tanks as opposed to rebuildable tanks are by far the majority within the e-cigarette world, thanks to an easy-to- use design. For standard tanks, PG-based e-liquids are less likely to clog up its inner workings, as well as being more easily absorbed into the wick, while those with rebuildable tanks can use either without issue.
PG VG Ratios
The most prevalent e-liquids use varying ratios of both bases to ensure an all-encompassing sensation. The most common ratios are:
- 50/50 – this is the most common PG e-liquid used, ideal for the basic mods with atomiser resistance levels between 1.0 ohms and 2.0 ohms.
- 70/30 –designed for use with atomoisers below 1.0 ohms, this is a blend formed to produce the most vapour from sub ohm vaping. Maintaining a substantial flavour for you to enjoy.
- 80/20 – Perfect for atomisers 0.5 ohms or below, you can make some big vape clouds with this ratio whilst still being able to enjoy the taste of your choice of e-liquid.
- 100/0 – Designed for maximum vape cloud production this is the perfect choice for competitive vapours wanting to make a lasting impression. This ratio is much less about the e-liquid flavour and more about what you can do with it.
Whichever PG VG ratio you chose is your decision, with different ratios offering different benefits, so experiment, weigh the pros and cons and enjoy the journey to a better vaping experience.